Vietnamese Eggroll (Cha Gio)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound shelled shrimp or 1 can crab meat
- 1 small white onion
- 1/4 jicama
- Several dried mushrooms
- Pinch of bean threads
- 1 carrot, sliced into threads
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Dash of monosodium glutamate
- 1 package rice paper
- Soak mushrooms to soften and then slice into threads.
- Mix all ingredients except rice paper, together thoroughly.
- Dampen both sides of rice paper for easy rolling.
Put the filling in the middle of the rice paper and fold two opposite corners together,
then roll it. To get a nice looking roll, you must wrap it carefully.
- Warm about one inch of oil in a large fryer over high heat.
- When oil is hot,
add rolls and turn heat down to medium (the oil should just cover the rolls). Be
sure to check and turn the rolls often to avoid overcooking.
- Fry rolls until golden brown, then place on rack to drain the excess oil.