Confetti Philly Steak Wraps
- 1 (2 pound) steak, cut on the diagonal into thin strips
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large red bell pepper, washed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, washed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, washed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 6 pitas
- Trim the steak of any fat, and slice thinly into strips.
- In a nonreactive bowl, combine the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the oil, garlic, white wine and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Add the beef, and stir to coat the meat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to eight hours.
- In a 10- or 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over high heat, then add the peppers, onion and mushrooms. Cook over high heat, tossing the vegetables, adding the salt, pepper and the remaining sugar, stirring constantly. Continue to cook for about five minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp but tender. Season the mixture with oregano, then set aside.
- Drain the steak from the marinade. Heat a wok on high, then add the steak, stir-frying
until it loses its pink color. Remove from the heat. Cut the pitas in half, and open each pocket. Place some of the steak into each pocket, cover with some of the Monterey jack cheese, if used, and then top with the pepper and mushroom mixture.
Serve two halves per person.