Great Greek Pitas
- 1 1/4 pounds lean boneless pork
- 1/4 cup olive oil or cooking oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme. crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pita bread rounds, halved
- Thinly sliced onion (optional)
- Thinly sliced tomato (optional)
- Trim fat from pork. Partially freeze pork.
- Thinly slice pork into bite-size strips. Place pork in a plastic bag set into a deep bowl.
- For marinade, combine oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, oregano, and thyme;
mix well. Pour over pork in bag. Seal bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator 6 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- For sauce, in a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, dill weed, and seasoned
- Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
- At serving time, drain pork. Discard marinade. In a large skillet, stir-fry pork,
half at a time, over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until pork is no longer
- Using a slotted spoon, remove pork from skillet; spoon into pita halves.
- Stir cucumber sauce; spoon atop meat.
- If desired, garnish with onion and tomato.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 241 calories, 12 g total fat, 45 mg cholesterol,
286 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein, 13% calcium, 10% iron
Source: Better Homes and Gardens Online
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.