Italian Sausage Calzones
- 1 1/4 pounds spicy Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- Garlic Butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- For Filling: Remove sausage from casing.
- Sauté sausage in large skillet, breaking
up with fork, until sausage is cooked and browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- For Dough: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make hot roll mix according to package direction for pizza, replacing egg and
butter with hot water and olive oil. Let dough stand 5 minutes. Divide dough into
8 pieces. Roll each piece into an oval about 5 by 7 inches. Place 1/4 cup of Italian
cheese blend in center of each oval. Top with 1/3 cup cooked sausage. Spoon 1 tablespoon
pizza sauce over sausage. Sprinkle with another 1/4 cup cheese. Bring up edges of
dough and seal securely. Transfer calzones to lightly greased baking sheet, placing
seam side up to form a "football" shape.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Set calzones in a warm place to rise, covered with towel, 25 minutes. Bake until
lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- For Garlic Butter: In a small skillet, heat
butter and garlic over low heat until butter is melted and garlic is tender, about
3 minutes. Remove calzones from oven when lightly browned. Brush hot calzones with
garlic butter and sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Calzones can be baked and refrigerated
up to 2 days in advance. Reheat at 350 degrees F until hot, about 20 minutes.
Recipe credit: American Dairy Association
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.