Oriental Chicken Wraps
This Chinese chicken wraps recipe is especially good if you have fallen into a dining rut and want
something different. Most of the ingredients, with the exception of the Zhen Jiang vinegar, are readily
in your supermarket. Try your local oriental supermarket for Zhen Jiang Vinegar. If you can't find it there,
just use Heinz regular distilled vinegar. The flavor, however, will be slightly different, but still good.
This recipe has a lot of flexibility. You can adjust measurements such
amount of vegetables to suit your own tastes. You can also make sauce as thick or
thin as you like. I don't like mine too runny but, on the other hand, a paste-like
texture isn't too appealing either.
- 1 1/2 to 2 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin 1-inch strips
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, sliced into thin 1-inch strips
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, sliced into thin 1-inch strips
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- 2 medium cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry white wine
- Approximately 1 dozen plain or flavored tortillas (can use garlic, Cajun or curry flavors)
- 1 cup LOW SODIUM chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese hot chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Zhen Jiang vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with water (approximation)
- At least several hours before cooking, slice chicken breasts into thin 1-inch
strips. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (approximation)
on meat. Add a little water followed by cornstarch. Massage this mixture into chicken strips. Set in fridge.
- When ready to stir-fry veggies, heat about 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Throw in
minced garlic and stir-fry for about 10 to 15 seconds. Next, add bell peppers and
stir-fry for about 1 to 2 minutes before adding all other vegetables. Stir-fry for
about 2 minutes more before removing from wok and set aside.
- Next, heat a little oil in wok and add chicken. After stir-frying for about 30
seconds, drizzle about 2 tablespoons white wine or Chinese rice wine over chicken.
Continue cooking chicken until done (about 2 minutes). Remove from wok.
- After wiping wok clean, pour in sauce and bring to boil. Add cornstarch mixed
with water and reduce heat. Simmer until thickened (mixture should be fairly viscous
like a gravy). Next, add veggies and chicken to sauce mixture. Stir until these ingredients are well-coated.
- Lastly, spoon about 2 to 3 tablespoons filling into tortillas that have been
wrapped in foil and heated in oven.
- Wrap tortillas as you would a burrito.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by Cookin Dad at Recipe Goldmine 5/19/02 7:48:18 am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.