Pecos Pitas with Pistachios
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexicorn, drained
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (1/2 pound)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles (or jalapenos, if preferred)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans or red kidney beans
- 4 pita pocket breads
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cups shredded cooked or canned chicken
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Lime Vinaigrette
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1 cup julienne pared jicama or pared, seeded cucumber
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red pepper or pimiento
- 1 cup low-far or nonfat bottled Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Vegetarian Pitas: Toss corn, zucchini, chiles and 3/4 cup pistachios together
with half the Cumin vinaigrette.
- Warm pita pockets in 350 degrees F oven for about
3 minutes, then halve and fill each half with lettuce, tomato slices and 1/3 cup
corn mixture. Add a spoonful of beans to each.
- Place on plates; drizzle remaining dressing over filling and sprinkle with
- Cumin Vinaigrette: Combine vegetable oil, cider vinegar, sugar and cumin
seed in measuring cup. Stir vigorously to blend.
- Chicken Pitas: Toss chicken with half the pistachios and enough Lime Vinaigrette
- Warm pita pockets in 350 degree F oven for about 3 minutes, then halve
and fill with chicken mixture.
- Add jicama, avocado and red pepper.
- Place on plates;
drizzle remaining vinaigrette over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Lime Vinaigrette: Mix Italian salad dressing
with grated lime peel and lime juice. Shake to blend.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis Amount per Serving: Calories 310; Total Fat (g) 15;
Saturated Fat (g) 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g) 5; Cholesterol (mg) - Sodium (mg) 510;
Potassium (mg) 470; Total Carbohydrate (g) 37; Dietary Fiber (g) 6; Protein (g)
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6; Vitamin C 10; Calcium 6; Iron 15; Vitamin E 25;
Thiamin 25; Vitamin B-6 20; Folate 20; Phosphorus 15; Magnesium 15; Zinc 6; Copper
15; Selenium 15; Manganese 30
Recipe and photo credit: California Pistachio Commission