Pizza Salad Pita Pockets
- 3 (6-inch) white or whole wheat pitas
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can artichoke hearts, packed in water, well drained and quartered
- 1 ounce pepperoni slices, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cherry tomatoes, red onion, mushrooms,
artichoke hearts, pepperoni, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, vinegar and garlic
- Warm in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Cut each pita in half and warm in the microwave, about 30 seconds.
- Stuff each with a lettuce leaf; fill each pita with the pizza salad and serve.
Nutrition: Each serving provides approximately: 368 calories; 19 g protein;
60 g carbohydrates; 13 g fiber; 8 g fat (3 g saturated); 13 mg cholesterol; 63 mcg
folate; 3 mg iron; 1781 mg sodium
Recipe and photo credit: Wheat Foods Council