This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Orange Liqueur Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Soaking syrup
- Slivers of orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Cake: Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, juices, oil, orange rind and liqueur
in a large bowl; beat according to package directions.
- Pour into pan; bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is ready according
to package directions.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the Soaking Syrup.
- As soon as the cake is removed from oven, set on cooling rack, poke holes
in the cake with a long wooden pick or fine skewer and immediately pour the
soaking syrup evenly over the cake. Leave in the pan for 24 hours.
- After soaking, turn cake out onto cooling rack. (Do not add glaze if cake
is to be stored in freezer. Wrap and freeze.)
- Glaze: Prepare Glaze and allow to cool. Slip a sheet of wax paper under the cooling
rack to catch drips from glaze. Brush glaze over cake evenly and leave to dry
on cooling rack. Some of the glaze will drip off. Add slivers of orange peel
(orange part only) to top of cake just before serving.
- Soaking Syrup: Combine orange juice, brown sugar and butter. Melt on HIGH
(100%) for 1 minute in a microwave oven, or in a small saucepan over medium-low
heat. When mixture is melted, remove from heat; stir in orange liqueur.
- Glaze: Heat apricot preserves and orange marmalade, either in a microwave
oven (1 minute on HIGH) or in a small saucepan over medium heat. Strain into
a bowl to remove fruit.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings