Toffee Turvey Cake
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 box Pillsbury Plus Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans, line
with wax paper, then grease bottom again.
- In small saucepan, combine all filling ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly,
over low heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans. Let topping sit for about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, blend cake ingredients until moistened. Beat for 2 minutes
at highest speed.
- Spoon batter over set topping mixture in pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Loosen cake from sides of pans and immediately invert layers onto cooling
racks. Cool layers 10 minutes before removing waxed paper.
- Cool completely.
- Place layers, filling sides together, on serving plate.
- In small bowl, dissolve instant coffee in milk. Add remaining frosting ingredients;
blend until moistened. Beat for 2 minutes at highest speed. If needed, add a
few more drops of milk for desired frosting consistence.
- Frost sides and top of cake.
High Altitude: Above 3500 feet - add 3 tablespoons flour to dry cake mix. Increase
milk to 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes.
Enjoy with a pot of coffee!
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 14, 2001.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.