Tres Vanilla Pound Cake
This cake has an exquisite flavor from three different types of vanilla.
Vanilla lovers will find this Tres Vanilla Pound Cake hard to resist. If you
would like to make your own cake flour and/or vanilla sugar, there are links to
those recipes in our Cooking Basics section.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- Milk, to thin
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray a standard 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or a brioche pan
and line it with a sheet of parchment paper or foil so you can easily lift
the cake out for glazing.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar together
until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Mix for at least 3-4
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Blend in the buttermilk.
- Slowly add the flour, ensuring that everything is well mixed.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake on the middle rack for 60-70 minutes, or until a wooden pick
inserted in the center comes out dry.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the glaze by whisking the confectioners' sugar and vanilla bean
paste together with enough milk to create a thick spreadable glaze. Beat it
until there are no lumps.
- When the cake is almost completely cool, spread a thick layer of glaze
over the top and let it drip down the sides.
Yield: 1 (10 x 4-inch) loaf