Virginia Pound Cake
Toasted pound cake slices spread with butter make an excellent breakfast treat.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream together butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and continue to cream until perfectly
smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended.
- Add cake flour a little at a time.
- Slowly add milk, then flavorings.
- Add baking powder LAST. (This is a lighter
and better blended mixture if electric mixer is used.)
- Grease and flour a large Bundt pan (or line with foil and grease and flour a
large tube pan or a small tube pan and a loaf pan).
- Pour cake batter into pans and place in a cold oven.
- Turn temperature to 325 degrees F or 350 degrees F, and bake for 1 hour and 15
minutes. Do not jar cake or remove from oven too soon.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan.
- Can be served as a base for strawberry shortcake.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pound Cake Recipes