Sparkling Lemon Picnic Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest (from 2-3 lemons)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (not fat free variety)
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar (unsifted)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour 9 x 13-inch baking
- In medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In large bowl with mixer on high speed, beat the sugar, butter, oil and
lemon zest until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add 2 of the eggs and the egg yolk
and beat on high for 30 seconds.
- Scrape bowl and add remaining 2 eggs and vanilla
extract. Beat on high for 4 minutes until light and sugar has dissolved.
- To creamed mixture, add half of the dry ingredients and 1/2 cup of sour
cream. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl well.
- Add remaining dry
ingredients and sour cream. Mix on low until smooth. Beat batter on high speed
for 1 minute, scraping bowl well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until center just starts
to spring back when touched. Top of cake should be a light golden color.
- While cake bakes, make the glaze. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice
in medium mixing bowl. Whisk or stir until very smooth and opaque.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately poke small holes into cake using a
- Slowly pour half of the glaze over cake, spreading slowly to cover
entire surface. Let cake absorb glaze, then slowly pour remaining glaze over
- Allow cake to rest for 5 minutes and absorb glaze.
- Turn on oven broiler and broil cake until glaze just starts to bubble and
cake top is golden brown.
- Cool cake for 2 hours before cutting. Dust with additional powdered sugar
just before serving, if desired.
Baker's hint: Start pouring glaze over center of cake. This will help the
cake absorb the glaze evenly so it doesn't pool in the corners.
Nutrition values per serving: 214 calories, 9 g fat, 31 g carbohydrates,
0 g fiber, 2 g protein, 54 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 7/6/01 10:14:32 am.