Strawberry Ribbon Cake
Cream Cheese Ribbon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Combine all ribbon ingredients and beat until smooth, set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and strawberry preserves.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat well.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture
alternately with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Fold in
beaten egg whites.
- Pour about half of the batter into pan.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over
batter and carefully spread with back of spoon. Cream cheese mixture does not
have to cover the batter completely.
- Pour remaining batter over cream cheese ribbon. Spread to cover.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched in
- Cool completely in pan before frosting.
- While cake bakes, make the frosting. Combine cream cheese, butter, and preserves
in large bowl. Beat until well mixed.
- Add confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spread on top of cooled cake.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine April 30, 2001.