Tender White Cake
The ultimate tender, moist cake perfect for birthdays and special occasions,
yet simple enough for everyday cupcakes. Vanilla and almond flavors combine to give
you smooth, mellow flavors reminiscent of your favorite bakery cakes.
This recipe uses King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend, which results in a
high rising cake with a moist, tender crumb. The cake also uses the paste method,
so no need to cream the butter and sugar. We do recommend a stand mixer for this
cake, or a sturdy hand mixer.
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
- 1 2/3 cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs whites plus 1 whole large egg
- 1 cup full-fat vanilla yogurt or 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pans by greasing and flouring,
or lining with parchment, then greasing the parchment.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients on slow speed to blend.
- Add the softened butter
and mix until the mixture becomes crumbly. Increase the speed of the mixer and
continue to mix until the crumbs begin to cling together. The mixture may or
may not become totally cohesive and paste-like; it's OK if it does, and
equally OK if it doesn't.
- Add the egg whites one at a time, then the whole egg, beating well after
each addition to begin building the structure of the cake. Scrape down the sides
and bottom of the bowl after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt (or milk) with the vanilla and almond
extracts. Add this mixture, 1/3 at a time, to the batter. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes
after each addition, until fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom
of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes for 8- or 9-inch rounds; 23 to 26 minutes for
a 9 x 13 x 2-inch sheet cake; or 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes. A wooden pick
or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean when done.
- Remove from the oven, and remove from the pan. If desired, cool on a rack,
Yield: Two 8" or 9" round layers; one 9 x 13 x 2-inch sheet cake, or
20 to 24 cupcakes
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes