The Butterfly Garden Toasted Coconut Cake
White Layer Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix (do not use one with "pudding-in-the-mix")
- 1 (3 3.4 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- White Layer Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and dust with flour two
round, 9-inch cake pans.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil and eggs with 1 1/3 cups water; beat just
until combined, using an electric mixer's medium speed (about 2 minutes). Stir
in coconut and nuts, if using.
- Spoon batter into cake pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes;
remove layers from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet; stir in coconut.
Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until coconut begins to tan and edges
are golden brown (about eight minutes). Set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cream cheese; beat with an electric
mixer until no lumps remain and mixture is smooth and creamy. Add confectioners'
sugar, milk and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Stir in 2 cups of the toasted
coconut (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish).
- To assemble: Place a cooled cake layer on cake plate. Spread with frosting; repeat
with remaining layer. Frost sides of cake. Sprinkle reserved toasted coconut on
Serves 12 to 16.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.