Roma Downey's Irish Soda Bread
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 875 mL
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar 50 mL
- 3/4 cup raisins (optional) 175 mL
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional) 15 mL
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 15 mL
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 5 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 375 mL
- 3 tablespoons melted butter 50 mL
- 1 egg
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, raisins and caraway seeds (if using),
baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter and egg; pour over dry ingredients
and stir just until moistened. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead
lightly just until dough holds together. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten
into 9-inch (23 cm) round. With sharp knife, score top into eights.
- Bake in 375 degrees F (190 degree C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester
or wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let pan cool on rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
If you make it without the raisins, serve with
Roma Downey's Irish Lamb Stew.
Per serving (without caraway seeds or raisins): 298 calories, 8 g protein,
6 g fat, 52 g carbohydrate
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Celebrity Recipes