Roma Downey's Irish Lamb Stew
- 3 pounds boneless lamb shoulder 1.5 kg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided 25 mL
- 1 tablespoon butter 15 mL
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 25 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 2 mL
- 3 cups beef stock or water 750 mL
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional) 125 mL
- 1 large potato, peeled and sliced 1
- 2 cups baby carrots 500 mL
- 1/2 pound pearl onions 250 g
- 1 cup frozen peas 250 mL
- Trim lamb and cut into bite-size pieces about 3/4 inch (2 cm). In heavy saucepan,
heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) each of oil and butter over medium-high heat and stir-fry
lamb until liquid evaporates and lamb is well browned. Add chopped onions and garlic;
sauté until onions are tender. Sprinkle in flour, salt and thyme; cook, stirring
constantly until well blended. Add stock and red wine, if using. Stirring constantly,
bring to a boil. Add sliced potato; reduce heat, cover and simmer, about 35 to 40
minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add carrots and cook, covered until carrots are tender, adding water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil; sauté pearl onions until
browned and tender; add to stew along with peas. Simmer 5 more minutes. Taste and
- Serve with Roma Downey's Irish Soda Bread.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving for 6 (without wine): 553 calories, 51 g protein, 27 g fat, 24
Per serving for 8 (without wine): 415 calories, 38 g protein, 21 g fat, 18
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Celebrity Recipes