Holiday Coconut Cake
- 2 cups BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup PLANTERS Walnut Pieces
- 2/3 cup matzo meal
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 ( 8 ounce) tub COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed,
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1/2 cup of the coconut and the walnuts
in food processor container fitted with steel blade; cover. Process until finely
ground; set aside.
- Mix matzo meal and potato starch; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in large bowl
with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Gradually add sugar,
beating about 5 minutes or until thick and light in color.
- Beat in orange juice
and matzo meal mixture until well blended.
- Gently stir in coconut mixture and
- Beat egg whites and salt in another bowl until stiff but not dry. (Do not
- Gently stir in a small amount of the egg whites into batter; gently
stir in remaining egg whites.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 greased and floured
9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 of the cake layers on serving plate. Spread top with about 1 1/2
cups of the whipped topping; sprinkle with half of the pineapple and 1/4 cup
of the remaining coconut.
- Cover with second cake layer.
- Frost with remaining
whipped topping and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups coconut.
- Garnish with
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
Yield: 16 servings
Size It Up: Savor a serving of this crowd-pleasing dessert on special occasions.
Great Substitute: Prepare as directed, using COOL WHIP French Vanilla Whipped
How To Thaw COOL WHIP: Place unopened 8 ounce tub in refrigerator for 4 hours.
Do not thaw in microwave.
Nutritional Information: Calories 240 Total fat 12 g Saturated fat 8 g Cholesterol
80 mg Sodium 110 mg Carbohydrate 30 g Dietary fiber 2 g Sugars 21 g Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 2 %DV Vitamin C 8 %DV Calcium 0 %DV Iron 4 %DV
Reprinted with permission from