Cowboy Breakfast Pie
- 1 pound regular bulk sausage
- 1 pound hot bulk sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 or 5 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mild diced green chile peppers
- 8 slices bread, toasted, or 3 cups flavored croutons
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 10 ounces Cheddar, mozzarella or jack cheese
- In a large skillet, cook both sausages together until done.
- Drain off grease.
- Chop onions and celery fairly fine and add to fried sausage.
- Fry onions and celery with sausage until onions and celery are about half
- Pour sausage, onions, and celery into a large pan or bowl.
- Add croutons, eggs, peppers, mushroom soup, and milk.
- Add 1 cup cheese and mix well.
- Spoon 1/2 mixture into a buttered 9 x 13-inch dish.
- Spread 1/2 remaining cheese lightly over layer.
- Spread remaining mixture and cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake at 300 degrees F for another 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven when cheese starts to darken around edges.
- Best to let cool before serving so it can set up some.
- Serve with picante sauce.