This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1/4 cup butter, margarine or oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh or frozen fish
- 1 pound okra, sliced
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds peeled, de-veined shrimp, crabmeat or crayfish
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- File powder (optional)
- Combine flour and fat in a heavy saucepot or Dutch oven and cook low heat stirring constantly 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is light brown (roux).
- Add garlic, onion and peppers. Cook until tender.
- Stir in water, undrained cut up tomatoes, paste and seasonings and bring to a
boil. Reduce heat and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Add okra and seafood and return to boil. then reduce heat to a simmer and cook
another 10 to 15 minutes until heated through.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with rice and sprinkle with file powder.
Yield: 6 servings