Cowboy's Beef Pie
When the cowboys were on the trail, since supplies were limited, nothing went
to waste. This recipe is a great one for using leftovers, because everything in
this cowboy's beef pie can be precooked.
- 4 cups cubed, cooked beef
- 2 1/2 cups gravy
- 3 cups vegetables (you can use potatoes, carrots, string beans, peas or any other canned or fresh vegetable on hand)
- 1 small minced onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 well beaten egg
- Combine meat, gravy, vegetables, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper in Dutch oven.
Heat to boiling point. Stir often.
- Mix mashed potatoes and egg in a separate bowl.
- Cover the meat and vegetables in the Dutch oven with the potato and egg mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees F until the top is brown (15 to 20 minutes).
Source: Chronicle of the Old West - May 2001