Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- 4 large whole wheat buns
- 2 golf ball size balls fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 portobella mushrooms, sliced into halves horizontally
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 4th’s vertically
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried or 4 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Alfalfa sprouts, onions or your favorite vegetable
- Combine cheese, oil, basil, chives and vinegar in a blender. Blend until
smooth; set aside.
- Grill the mushrooms about 3 minutes per side or until tender. Grill peppers
(do not peel) until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Skin will be wrinkled
and lightly brown.
- Slightly toast the buns on the grill and spread the mozzarella mixture evenly
on the bottom of each bun. Cover with mushroom slice and red pepper.
- Serve immediately.
The mushrooms can also be done under a broiler.
Nutrition: Each serving contains approximately: 216 calories; 11 g protein;
30 g carbohydrates; 6 g dietary fiber; 7 g fat (1 g saturated); 3 mg cholesterol;
32 mcg folate; 3 mg iron; 312 mg sodium
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Wheat Foods Council
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.