Oven-Fried Tex-Mex Onion Rings
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 medium onions (about 10 ounces), sliced 3/8 inch thick
- 2 egg whites
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray large nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking
spray; set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, chili powder, ground red pepper and salt in medium
shallow dish; mix well. Stir in butter and water.
- Separate onion slices into rings. Place egg whites in large bowl; beat lightly.
- Add onions; toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Transfer to bread crumb mixture; toss to coat evenly.
- Place in single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until onions are tender and coating is crisp.
Yield: 6 servings
Dietary exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Fat