Bayou Hot Slaw
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) head cabbage
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 large green onion, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, minced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place first 5 ingredients in a large salad bowl and mix well.
- In a saucepan, heat oil and bay leaf and stir in the flour, but do not let
- Add sugar and water, stirring until thickened.
- Pour in the vinegar and spices and stir until the sauce is thick.
- Cool to lukewarm and pour over the slaw. Toss and mix well.
- Chill and serve cold.
Yield: 6 servings
If a hotter slaw is desired, add more cayenne.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Old-Time Louisiana Cream Fudge
Cajun Sausage Jambalaya
BBQ Shrimp Po'Boy
Traditional New Orleans Oyster Dressing