Bayou Jambalaya-Style Sausage and Rice
Smoked turkey sausage, paprika, thyme and diced tomatoes create this Creole flavored
dinner with green beans and rice - and it’s all in one pan! Make it with shrimp,
chicken or some of each.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Del Monte® No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Del Monte® No Salt Added Cut Green Beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can College Inn® Fat Free & Lower Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika
- 12 ounces raw peeled medium shrimp
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and black pepper, optional
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Brown sausage, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet and cook bell pepper and onion 3 minutes
or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, rice and paprika. Bring to a boil over medium-high
heat; cover and cook on medium-high heat 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, thyme and sausage. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until shrimp
are opaque in center.
- Remove from heat, stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil, hot sauce and season
to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes for flavors to develop.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Stand Time: 10 min.
Reprinted with permission from