Bayou Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 ham bone with ham (need 1 cup chopped ham)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery and leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Pour beans into large heavy pan or
Dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients except rice. Simmer for 3 hours or until
beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone, cut off meat and add to beans. Add
water when necessary during cooking. Water should barely cover beans at end of
- Remove 1 cup beans and mash to paste. Add to beans and stir
until liquid is thickened.
- Serve over hot white rice.
Yield: 6 servings