Blue Crab Beignets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup Abita amber beer
- Vegetable oil for frying as needed
- 1/2 cup Louisiana blue crab meat, picked through for shells
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1 shallot, very small diced
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add beer slowly until batter is just thicker than pancake batter. Set aside,
covered, at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl and form into 1/2 ounce balls.
- To complete beignets: Heat oil in a fryer or cast iron skillet to 375 degrees F.
- Drop crab filling balls into the batter and lift out with a teaspoon.
- Gently drop them into the oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown
and hot all the way through.
Cooking/Prep Time: 2 hours | Yield: 4 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Old-Time Louisiana Cream Fudge
Cajun Sausage Jambalaya
BBQ Shrimp Po'Boy
Traditional New Orleans Oyster Dressing