Cajun Beef and Bean Burritos
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin
B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
- 1 pound beef Top Sirloin Boneless or Top Round Steak, cut
3/4 inch thick or Flank Steak
- 3/4 cup prepared tomatillo or regular prepared
- 1 package (5 to 6.5 ounces) Cajun rice and bean mix
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium flour tortillas (10-inch diameter),
- Tomatillo or regular prepared salsa
- Cut beef Steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick
- Place beef and 1/2 cup salsa in medium bowl; toss to coat. Cover and marinate
in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Prepare rice and bean mix according to package directions, using 1/4 cup
less water and omitting oil or margarine; keep warm.
- Meanwhile remove beef from marinade; discard marinade.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until
hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of
beef is no longer pink. Do not overcook.
- Remove from skillet.
- Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and beef. Season with salt.
- Return beef with juices to skillet. Add rice and remaining 1/4 cup salsa;
cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon 1 cup beef mixture evenly down center of each tortilla, leaving 1
1/2-inch border around edge. Fold bottom edge up over filling. Fold right and
left sides to center, overlapping edges.
- Serve with additional salsa, as desired.
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
For colorful burritos, use flavored flour tortillas such as red pepper, tomato
Nutrition information per serving using top sirloin: 543 calories; 13 g fat
(3 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 5 mg cholesterol; 1212 mg sodium;
66 g carbohydrate; 5.7 g fiber; 37 g protein; 10.2 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6;
1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.4 mg iron; 47.5 mcg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc.
Nutrition information per serving using flank: 546 calories; 15 g fat (4
g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 42 mg cholesterol; 1205 mg sodium; 66
g carbohydrate; 5.7 g fiber; 35 g protein; 9.4 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.4
mcg vitamin B12; 5.2 mg iron; 43.1 mcg selenium; 4.7 mg zinc.
Nutrition information per serving using top round: 545 calories; 13 g fat
(3 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 61 mg cholesterol; 1193 mg sodium;
66 g carbohydrate; 5.7 g fiber; 38 g protein; 7.5 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6;
1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 6.1 mg iron; 48.7 mcg selenium; 5.2 mg zinc
Reprinted with permission from
The Beef Checkoff.