Cajun Pork Chili
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the pork over medium heat, stirring to break up
the meat, for about 5 minutes or until browned. Pour off the fat.
- Add onions, and cook until tender.
- Add garlic, red and green peppers and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally,
for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a spoon.
- Stir in kidney beans, hot pepper flakes, oregano, cayenne pepper, hot pepper
sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer
for 20 minutes.
If you prefer a more traditional chili flavor, use cumin instead of oregano,
and add chili powder to taste.