Cajun Spiced Walnuts
The mix of Cajun spices in this recipe gives the perfect kick to warm your taste
buds. To reflect their feisty personality, these walnuts can be given in homemade
poppers, which can be customized with different colors and patterns. Prepare them
a day ahead if possible, as the flavors blend and mellow overnight.
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbs, mixed, dried
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups California walnut
halves and pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick
- In a large bowl, mix egg white, garlic salt, dried herbs, cayenne pepper
and paprika with a whisk or fork until blended.
- Add California walnut halves and pieces and toss until they are evenly coated,
then spread on the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, stirring once after about 8 minutes, until the walnuts
look dry and toasted. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 2 cups.
Reprinted with permission from