- 2 whole, boned chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 6 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chicken
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, preferably cut from the
- 1 1/2 cup okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- Seasonings: hot pepper sauce, black pepper,
Cajun spices, and parsley
- In a large pot, fry the bacon, remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add the oil to the bacon drippings in the pot.
- Dredge the chicken in flour and brown on all sides. (You may have to do
this in several batches).
- Pour the chicken broth over browned chicken and bring to a boil. Add all
remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and season before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Note: The bacon can be added to the soup if you like.
Posted by bettyboop at Recipe Goldmine 1/3/2002 6:23 am.