Etouffee ("ay-too-fay") is a rich gravy served over fluffy white rice.
- 1 1/4 sticks butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
- Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add onion, celery,and bell pepper.
- Saute over medium heat until vegetables are translucent, about 15
- Add crawfish and Cajun seasoning; stir well. Cook covered over low
heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add green onions just before serving, if desired.
- Serve over white rice.