My mama used to make potato salad with it - but that's a lot of starch for one meal, so you could just make a green salad - this is a heavy meal, so you don't need a lotta sides.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable/saffola oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped green bell pepper
- As much garlic as you can stand
- Worcestershire sauce
- Green onion tops (4 or 5, chopped)
- Smoked sausage, sliced into circles
- Various chicken parts - about 5 or 6 thighs is good
- Roux: In a small saucepan warm the oil on medium heat, pour in the flour and
stir, stir, stir till it's dark brown (like mahogany).
- While that's goin', in a large pan brown the sausage until it's good
and juicy in there - let the sausage stick a little - it'll add more flavor.
- Next, add your chicken parts - and a little salt/pepper to taste - brown that
- When the roux is the right color, add the onion, bell pepper and garlic - sauté
- Add the whole mess to the pot of browned meat, add enough water to cover all
the meat - and the Worcestershire - 1 tablespoon or 3 good shakes! Stir it up until
everything is mixed well - no lumps from the roux - it should be really soupy/watery.
If its not dark enough, add a little kitchen bouquet to darken it. Bring it to a
boil. lower to simmer, cover and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Add green onion tops, cover and cook about 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice in a bowl, like soup - not like gravy!
Feeds 4 Cajuns or 6 Yankees.
Source: Submitted to Recipe Goldmine by Princess FedUp2Here - ya-ya.com