- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
- 4 cups coarsely chopped mustard greens
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups coarsely chopped watercress
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped fine
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 cups cooked rice
- Bottled pepper sauce
- In 8-quart saucepan, combine kale, spinach, mustard greens, cabbage, watercress,
parsley, onions, bay leaves, and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer,
uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While greens are simmering, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil to medium heat.
- Add celery, green pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add to saucepan. Add hot pepper sauce and spices, then simmer all for 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Remove 2 cups of vegetables and set aside.
- In blender or food processor, puree remaining vegetables (in batches) and return
- Sauté optional mushrooms in optional olive oil 10 minutes. Add to saucepan.
- In skillet, brown flour to light golden roux.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups reserved vegetables, stirring constantly until mixture
- Return mixture to saucepan and bring all to boiling.
- To serve, mound 1 cup rice per serving in center of bowl. Carefully surround
with gumbo, then serve.
- Place bottled pepper sauce and remaining rice on table to be added as desired.