"Jambalaya" Bread Pudding
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 quart milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- In a large bowl, break bread into bite-size pieces. Cover with milk and soak
for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix bread mixture well. Add eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla extract, cinnamon
- Melt butter in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish, tilting to coat all sides. Pour
in the pudding and bake 1 hour.
- For the sauce, in top of a double boiler, melt butter and sugar. Gradually whisk
in egg (and cook until mixture thickens). Cool slightly.
- Add bourbon.
- If serving right away, pour warm sauce over pudding. If not, warm sauce slightly
before serving and serve in a sauce boat.
Yield: 12 servings
Junior League of New Orleans - Jambalaya Cookbook