- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon file
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cleaned and cooked shrimp
- 2 cups oysters, with liquor
- Melt butter in a heavy cast iron skillet. Add onions and sauté until browned.
Add flour slowly and stir until browned.
- Add water, stirring constantly until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add all other ingredients except the seafood. Cover the skillet and cook over
low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Add shrimp and oysters with the oyster liquor. Cover; heat thoroughly until edges
of oysters are curled.
Other fish or seafood may be added or substituted.