Lorraine Mosley's Dirty Rice
A neighbor gave me her dirty rice mix and it's very good! About 20 of us sat
there eating it with crackers and hot sauce; talk about a bottomless bowl!
- 5 cups water, chicken or beef broth
- 2 packages Oak Grove Smokehouse Dirty Rice Mix*
- 2 1/2 pounds ground round
- 3 bunches chopped green onions, with tops
- Minced garlic or garlic powder to taste
- 1 small finely chopped green pepper
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 pounds spicy smoked sausage
- Bring broth to a boil. Add dirty rice mix, stir; return to boil. Cover, reduce
heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Pour cooked rice mix into very large bowl.
- Brown ground round with onions, garlic, green pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Do not drain.
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices and then again in half or into quarters. Brown
- Mix all together in bowl with rice and let set at least 2 hours for flavors to
blend in, then adjust seasonings to taste.
May be reheated before serving if desired.
This makes enough to fill 2 gallon size freezer bags and it freezes well.
Lorraine's Note: I don't add salt because the rice mix has a lot of salt
* If you can't find this, Zatarain's Dirty Rice works quite well, other
name brands will do.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine May 17, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes