Lorraine Mosley's Dirty Rice
A neighbor gave me her dirty rice mix and it's very good! About 20 of us sat
there eating it with crackers and hot sauce; talk about a bottomless bowl!
- 5 cups water, chicken or beef broth
- 2 packages Oak Grove Smokehouse Dirty Rice Mix*
- 2 1/2 pounds ground round
- 3 bunches chopped green onions, with tops
- Minced garlic or garlic powder to taste
- 1 small finely chopped green pepper
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 pounds spicy smoked sausage
- Bring broth to a boil. Add dirty rice mix, stir; return to boil. Cover, reduce
heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Pour cooked rice mix into very large bowl.
- Brown ground round with onions, garlic, green pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Do not drain.
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices and then again in half or into quarters. Brown
- Mix all together in bowl with rice and let set at least 2 hours for flavors to
blend in, then adjust seasonings to taste.
May be reheated before serving if desired.
This makes enough to fill 2 gallon size freezer bags and it freezes well.
Lorraine's Note: I don't add salt because the rice mix has a lot of salt
* If you can't find this, Zatarain's Dirty Rice works quite well, other
name brands will do.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine May 17, 2001.