New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
Barbecue shrimp is a classic New Orleans dish everyone loves. Spiced up
with Slap Ya Mama, you’ll be begging for more after one bite. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds jumbo or colossal fresh shrimp, heads on
- 7 cups cold water
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark or amber beer
- 2 loaves French bread, for serving
- Peel shrimp and devein, leaving tails on and reserving the heads and shells.
- In a small Dutch oven, add shrimp heads and shells, and cover with 7 cups
cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and
cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Skim any froth as it rises to the
surface. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, and set aside.
- Reserve 1 cup shrimp stock. Remaining stock can be refrigerated up to 1 week
or frozen up to 3 months.
- In a large skillet, melt 5 tablespoons butter over high heat. Add rosemary,
pepper, Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, shallot, and garlic. Cook, stirring
constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add reserved stock, Worcestershire,
Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce, and lemon juice. Add shrimp, and cook just until
pink and firm.
- Add beer, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Decrease heat to low, and add
remaining 7 tablespoons butter. Gently stir as the butter melts into the sauce
and the sauce is emulsified.
- Serve immediately with French bread.
Yield: about 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Slap Ya Mama - slapyamama.com
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes