New Orleans Style Cabbage Rolls
- 6 poached cabbage leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup andouille sausage
- 1 cup pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- To prepare filling, beat egg; mix in whipping cream and bread crumbs. Add salt
and pepper. Lightly combine with meats and set aside.
- To prepare cabbage, cut and core cabbage. Remove outer leaves. Poach 2-3 minutes in boiling water. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place equal amounts of filling into each cabbage leaf. Roll up and secure with
wooden pick. Dust rolls with flour and sauté in preheated skillet with butter until
browned. Transfer to baking dish.
- Surround with carrots and tomatoes. Add tomato juice. Allow to rest overnight.
- Bake 1 hour, covered, at 375 degrees F.
- Remove cover and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with green beans and rice.
Source: Chef Yancy Roush