- 5 cups onions, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf, minced
- 4 stalks celery, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 4 dozen oysters, strained (reserve the liquor) and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 36 oyster half shells, boiled and scrubbed
- 18 strips bacon, precooked and crispy, but not too brown, drained, with
each strip cut in half
- 6 lemon wedges for garnish
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In an iron skillet sauté the minced onion, garlic, bay, celery and thyme in 6
tablespoons for the butter for about 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped oysters.
- Moisten 1 cup of the breadcrumbs with about 1 cup of the oyster liquor. Add to
the above. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter and cook until the butter is melted.
- Fill the oyster shells with the mixture, and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of
breadcrumbs over the top. Top with bacon pieces.
- To serve, heat the oysters in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until
Serve 6 oysters per portion, and garnish each platter with a lemon wedge.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes