Shrimp and Oyster Gumbo
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 to 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 4 cups fish or chicken stock
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 pints oysters, undrained
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- Cooked rice
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat; add flour very slowly,
stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until flour is very brown.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, fish stock, shrimp and bay leaves; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring
- Add seafood seasonings; simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add okra, salt and pepper; continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add oysters and simmer 10 minutes or until edges of oysters curl.
- Just before serving, stir in gumbo file.
- Serve over rice.