- 3 tablespoons olive oil or bacon drippings
- 1 pound skinless, boneless, chicken, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces fully cooked spicy sausage, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/4 ounce) can diced Ro*Tel tomatoes or regular tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra slices
- 3/4 cup long grain rice - NOT INSTANT!
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- cayenne pepper
- Heat fat in a large pot over med high heat. Add chicken and sausage, and sauté
- Transfer the meat to a bowl. Leave drippings in pot. Add onion and bell pepper
to drippings and sauté till soft.
- Add flour and stir until golden brown. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, and
add tomatoes juice and all. Bring to a boil, and add chicken, okra, and rice. Reduce
heat to medium. Cook uncovered until rice is tender, and most of liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in scallops and shrimp, cover, and cook until seafood is done.
Submitted to Recipe Goldmine Newsletter by Cajuns on 10/17/05.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes