Sweet Potatoes in Praline Sauce (New Orleans)
This sauce is very rich, and you may want to save some for over ice cream.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until not quite tender, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce by melting the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
In a short time the sugar will begin to turn to a light golden brown. Stir to prevent
- When light brown syrup is formed, immediately add the corn syrup, followed
by the water. Blend thoroughly.
- Allow to cool for just a moment and then stir in
the pecans, butter, salt and vanilla extract.
- Place the potatoes in a greased baking dish.
- Pour some of the sauce over the
potatoes and bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes.