The Big Easy
- 1 cup green olives, preferably Italian, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (packed in olive oil, drained)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh oregano (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or other red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large round loaf Italian bread, about 7 inches in diameter
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced mozzarella
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced ham
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Mortadella
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Mix the chopped olives and the next 6 ingredients; stir in 2 tablespoons olive
- Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours to marry flavors.
Olive mixture can be made up to a week ahead.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; remove bread from bottom and top of loaf (discard
or save for bread crumbs) to form a thick shell.
- Spread half the reserved olive mixture (with liquid) on the bottom half of the
bread, then half the onion rings.
- Next, layer the cheese and cold cuts in the order listed. Top with remaining
onion slices, then remaining olive mixture.
- Sandwich can be made up to 6 hours ahead.
- Wrap tightly; store in the refrigerator.
- Return to room temperature before serving.
- Cut into 6 wedges.
Yield: 6 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes