Black or White Bean Cakes
- 1 1/4 cups dried pea beans or black beans
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain and rinse beans, then place in a large saucepan with fresh water to cover.
Cook over medium heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain and reserve.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal with milk, eggs and salt. Fold in beans and scallions.
Form mixture into 2- to 3-inch patties.
- Heat drippings on a griddle or in a large
skillet. Fry cakes for 1 to 2 minutes per side over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 10 to 12 cakes.