Navajo Dried Corn Soup
- 3 cups dried whole corn
- 12 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed pork or beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 crushed red chile pods
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash dried corn thoroughly, soak overnight, drain when ready to use.
- Boil dried corn until tender - about 3 1/2 hours in 6 cups water.
- Brown meat; add onion and garlic. Saute together until tender, then drain excess
- Add pork, chile pods, oregano, salt, pepper and 6 cups water to cooked corn.
- Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat and corn are tender.
Dried corn may be cooked in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes at about 15
An Old Smoky Ham soup base may be used in place of the salt pork. When working
with the chile pods make sure you don't touch your eyes. Wash your hands first.