Wild Sage Bread
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine sugar, sage, salt, baking soda and flour.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Beat egg and cottage cheese together until smooth. Add melted shortening and
- Add flour mixture slowly to egg mixture, beating well after each addition until
a stiff dough is formed.
- Cover dough with cloth and put in warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
Punch dough down, knead for one minute and place in well-greased pan. Cover and
let rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.
- Brush top with melted shortening and sprinkle
with crushed, roasted pine nuts or coarse salt.