Tipsy Irish Whiskey Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow or chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla or French vanilla or chocolate pudding and pie-filling mix
- 3/4 cup Irish whiskey or bourbon, divided
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 4 jumbo or extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup Irish
whiskey, and oil, add eggs and beat at medium speed of an electric
mixer for 4 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
Spoon into a greased and floured 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F) for 45 minutes,
or until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- When cake is almost done, prepare syrup.
- Combine sugar, butter, water, and lemon juice in a small heavy
saucepan. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- Turn cake out onto two large sheets of aluminum foil placed
together to form the shape of a cross. Let cake cool for 10
minutes, top side up for tube cake and upside down for Bundt
cake. Using a skewer or long bamboo pick, make holes all over
top and sides of hot cake. Drizzle syrup very slowly over cake,
being careful that too much does not run into any cracks on
top of cake. Bring foil up around cake and wrap securely.
- Cake may be served when completely cool or stored in an airtight
- Cake may be wrapped securely in foil and
stored in the refrigerator for several weeks or in a freezer
for up to six months.
Yield: 1 (10-inch) tube cake
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 6/12/01 2:18:09 pm.
Source: Jan Carlton's Favorite Recipes - St. Patrick's
Day Specialties - 13 News @ Noon March 17, 1999