Horseshoe Cafe Cowboy Beans
- 2 1/2 pounds dry pinto beans
- 1/2 pound ham or salt pork, cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 to 20 chile pequins, mashed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or salt, to taste
- The night before, wash beans and place in large kettle. Add water to half-filled
- The next morning, bring beans and water to boiling over medium heat, stirring
to keep from burning. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 hours, uncovered, letting beans "pack" (cook
together) but adding boiling water as necessary to keep beans covered.
- After the first hour, add ham or salt pork.
- After the second hour, add garlic.
- After the third hour, add oregano, cumin and chiles.
- After the fourth hour, add lemon juice or salt. Beans will be ready to serve
after fifth hour.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings