- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried red chile powder
- Wash the beans thoroughly, removing any stones or bad beans.
- Soak overnight in cold water, changing the water at least once.
- Cook the bacon for a few minutes, then add onion and cook until transparent.
- Put the beans into a large pot with the bacon and onion, cover with water and
simmer, covered, for four hours or until beans start to soften.
- Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chile powder, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Other Southwestern bean recipes you may like...
Refried Beans Supreme
Horseshoe Cafe Cowboy Beans